Monday, August 25, 2008

Monday, August 25, 2008 - I miss/I don't miss...

Another one leaves us as Emma headed to Quito on Saturday. This is definitely rough going, so many folks come and go. I guess that’s expected when I hang out with the English volunteers at Isabela’s house (fabulous local hostess who keeps inviting me by). I’m still looking for a place to meet folks who live here, rather than those just visiting. Isabela and her son have asked me to give English classes (this is quite common to be asked, however, the lessons only pay about $5/hr, hardly worth the commute alone). Besides, I hope to be doing the spa work, and drop the school. If that happens, I wouldn’t mind doing the private lessons on my own time, but as long as I’m at the school, I really don’t want to be bothered.
I plan to hang out more with folks from school this week (seeing some local sights and hopefully do some kayaking) but this requires more “work” because I have to constantly speak Spanish. That is a good and a bad thing. Sometimes it’s just plain exhausting! I will also hang out at the station more when I can, because many of those folks are more settled. It’s also fun to hang out by the beaches there and see the turtles. Very cool!
I’m also thinking of things that I miss and don’t miss while living here…

I miss…
· Speaking English with my friends
· Using credit cards (w/o a 22% fee)
· Take out-Delivery&fast food!
· (HIGH SPEED) Internet at home
· Turkey Hill ice cream, cheddar cheese!
· Flushing toilet paper
· Playing soccer with the girls
· Brushing my teeth with tap water
· Grocery stores with the food I want in them (and items that are not expired)
· A level of anonymity (I see my students, their parents or other teachers everywhere, even the beaches!)
· Other neighborhoods to explore
· Having more than 2 bar/pub options
· Knowing my way around to go to buy something or get a service.
· Sleeping w/o fear of mosquito bites!

I don’t miss…
· Having to work 9:30-5:30 M-F, and on Sun
· Pollution
· Crowded, smelly, delayed subways
· Hot, smelly, humid NYC summer (ask me again in December)
· The Laundromat (we have 2 washers and a dryer)
· Gym (haha, I really should be going here though)
· Shopping, in general, I don’t miss shopping.
· Expensive cabs
· Paying credit card bills
· Phone calls!
· Road rage
· Fast paced rushing all the time
· Paying for a commute to work (I get picked up in the school bus with the kids)

Things I particularly like about living in Puerto Ayora:
· Being able to walk or cycle just anywhere in town
· Going and just hanging out with the turtles at the Darwin Center, or the iguanas on the beaches
· Getting out of work at 1pm (ask me again after I start the spa)
· Going to the beach after work (ask me again after I start the spa)
· Watching the boys play futsal at Ingala park (I’ve recently been invited to play, but it’s a very fast and skilled game, and the boys play HARD!)
· Lots of magnificent opportunities to use my camera
· Dogs (this can be a good and bad thing…but generally, I LOVE dogs!)
· Learning Spanish
· People wanting to practice their English with me (learning a second language, especially English, is beneficial to those who want to be guides, which I’m told is a fairly prestigious and well compensated job here because of it). I have had lots of offers to teach private English lessons, however I want to keep my spare time open for spa work as private lessons only get about $5/hr, where the spa will be at least triple that, if not more.
· Meeting people I know on the streets, makes me feel welcome
· My students calling me “Profe” (short for profesora) or “Teacher”
· I have a “family” at Isabela and Carlos’ home (with Gabriella, Michalle, Matias and Javier). They hosts foreigners, especially volunteers, in their home, and since I visit some of my friends there, they’ve welcomed me in at any time (was just over last night watching Lost and Simpsons over some pizza). None of my friends have phones, so I typically just stop by when I’m out and about. Her house is also right by Ingala field, where the boys play futsal. I just discovered last night that my landlord and his wife lived in her house for 14 years! Everyone is connected here!

No comments: