Tuesday, August 19, 2008

August 12, 2008 Update

So I forgot to mention a few things in my first email. First, that I'm still trying to adapt to the shops being shut during siesta when I'm trying to shop for my lunch, I guess I should have remembered this from Spain. A cool thing is that I forgot to mention that had my first swim with a sea lion when in Floreana. He was so playful, he'd dive when I dove, and I'd do somersaults and he'd mimic me. It was so cool! At one point, I thought we were done playing, but she snuck up on me and jumped out of the water scaring the life out of me! Others got a laugh I'm sure. I also posted pictures of one that crept up on Alemanes beach last week (unusal at that location with Finch Bay Hotel tourists crowding the beach), just need to get time to put them up.

Here are some more photos (from oldest to most recent):
http://www.facebook.com/n/?inbox/readmessage.php&t=1012412715120 (National Public Holiday party)
http://www.facebook.com/n/?inbox/readmessage.php&t=1005770838345 (Random Moments 1)
http://www.facebook.com/n/?inbox/readmessage.php&t=1004899601917 (Tomás de Berlanga)
http://www.facebook.com/n/?inbox/readmessage.php&t=23528601308 (Hanna's Dinner Party)

http://www.facebook.com/n/?inbox/readmessage.php&t=1005976482168
(10 de Agosto, Desfile de Día de Indepencia)

And my update:

PATRIOTISM: I also forgot to mention that Ecuador's President Correa came to San Cristóbol, and Suzy's husband, Kleiner got to meet him as the head of his union. The president also declared yesterday a Once-off National Public Holiday last minute to honor the introduction of the new constitutional framework (whatever that means). Unfortunately, it was declared so last minute, some teachers/students actually did show up to school. Fortunately, my roommates found out the night before, providing the occasion for a late night house party (I was awoken at midnight after only an hour of sleep with a beverage) and a beach day on Friday. Good times! August 10th was Ecuador's Independence Day, and no joke, the school has organized about 7 days of parade marching rehearsal (repaso) before that for the 7th graders and up to prepare for the festivities (and mind you, they don't play any instruments!). I can't tell you how tragically this disrupted my lesson planning as we rapidly approach our 4th unit exams next week. What a country!

MORE ON THE LIFE: It's funny how things work here, you can't get a pizza delivered, but you can have fresh vegetables and water delivered. The water truck comes by appointment to fill up our water jugs, and the veggie truck comes by on Fridays. Also, it's pretty cool that everything we need is basically w/in a 10-20 minute walk or a $1 cab ride.

SHOPPING: Well, as mentioned, siesta makes it hard to do my shopping after class, but what's worse, is that rarely do shops accept any bill larger than a $10, and sometimes not even that! Cash is going quickly as there is a 22% fee for using credit cards, so much for my lifeline!

THE FOOD: I'm still not settled in with the food...miss my certain things, like boneless/skinless chicken breast and what not. I finally found lunch meat (ham) and cheddar cheese, only to discover the cheese had gone off. Man, what a disappointment! Bananas, fresh from the tree are quite common, as is passion fruit. Fresh juices are quite popular, as you might imagine. I particularly like passion fruit and pineapple myself. The common food here is chicken and rice, as you can imagine (not sure if we're eating the neighbors pets or what though). Patecones (not sure the spelling) are fabulous, green plantains double fried and dipped in ketchup and mayo mixed with ahí...yummy! Pinchos (again, not sure the spelling) are just marinated grilled chicken on a skewer, but tastey and the only "on the go" food I can find as they BBQ them on the sidewalks around here. I do miss Wendy's! LOL


THE ANIMALS: I seemed to dwell on the more pest-like insects and neglected to mention all the cool turtles, iguanas, crabs, crickets, grashoppers (who are a bit kamakazi slamming themselves against all sorts of hard surfaces), etc. as seen in the photos. I still can't believe there are so many marine iguanas just hanging out on the side of the roads in some places. The land iguanas I believe are endangered, and aside from the one that greeted us in Baltra off our flight (where they've been introduced) and the Darwin Center, we've not seen any others. I also finally saw my first turtle in the wild (not on a farm) when hiking Cerro Mesa (the crater in the highlands above Cascajo). That said, the roosters crowing and the dogs barking (both, all day and night) are far more prevelant than any other animal here. A good night's sleep consists of minimal dog barking and rooster crowing and no new mosquito bites! LOL

THE GOSSIP here is astounding. I can't walk 2 blocks without running into a student (who incidentally call me teacher or profe (short for profesor/a) more than Teresa), teacher, parent or someone from the bar, and the gossip gets around like wildfire. Fortunately, my limited Spanish hasn't allowed for me to get into much trouble just yet. haha I saw a student's father (originally from NY in fact) when I was at Scuba Iguana checking in about my spa job. They're just everywhere!

THE COMMUNICATIONS: The phone service here, Porta (Movistar too, but most have Porta because apparently it's cheaper...) is practically useless. People just accept the fact that texts and calls won't go through. The cabinas are dear at $.25/min to the US, and as previously mentioned, my Porta SIM chip won't allow texts to Ireland and England. And get this, I don't have a mailing address, one must post letters/pkgs to me at Teresa Brink, General
Correo, Isla Santa Cruz, Galápagos, Ecuador. Then, I must be informed of it being sent so that I can go to collect it. Very informal, yet I'm told it works.

SAFETY: It is so safe around here too! There is the odd propositioning cab driver asking if I'm singler, who I lived with, etc. Of course I am clear to tell them I have roommates and a big, bad German Shepherd at the house! I can walk around alone and not be bothered. You can leave your bike on the street unlocked, and it will still be there when you come back (although recently I've heard of thefts). We live inside a gate with the landlord's boat workers at the house, so it seems pretty protected. Having said all that, I left my flash memory in the computer here, and someone stole it! My first time victimized here, and hopefully the last, eh? There's $25 down the drain, which is a LOT down here mind you!

SOCCER/EXERCISE: I also neglected to mention that I did play soccer with Suzy and the boys at El Rancho (a bar/pool/soccer field), but after the one time, my back and feet were in so much pain, I've not yet gone back. Meant since, but I hesitate to go alone, as it's way out of my element, and a pain to get to. Just as well as it's usually a sloppy muddy mess up there and the back has been bothering me because I've been neglecting my exercises. I do walk a LOT and ride the bike occasionally. Tortuga Bay is a good few miles return, so that's usually good for a work out, and the gym is only $1/day I'm told, but I have yet to go there.

SPA: I was informed the spa was supposed to have its inauguration Aug 16, and official opening on the 18th, but I found out on Sunday it will be delayed. I may end up working over the school break, so maybe earn a few needed dollars then. Wish me luck this works out! I'll also be posting pictures after the opening, hopefully it will open on time!

GOING AWAY PARTIES: Unfortunately, there are many friends, and friends of friends leaving, and it's hard to adjust...especially with the parties on school nights, particularly Mondays. Exhausted! Another one tomorrow. Hannah, one of the English volunteers at Tomás, had extended her stay by 2 weeks, so that was something anyway, but now she's leaving Thursday. After she's gone we'll need to get in a new roommate, hopefully a native Spanish speaker to force my new language communications. Fortunately 2 new Brits arrived, Sarah & Max, and they're here for 4 weeks, which is great, because I was unable to book a cruise (of the islands) for my week's break, so at least I'll have someone to hang out with as my one roommate goes back to England, and the other will be in Quito with her family.

Anyway, that's all the updates for now...hope everyone is well!

No comments: